Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love with staying power


I was just looking at Psalm 136.  It doesn't take a doctorate in theology and Biblical languages to note the obvious repetition in the Psalm..."His love endures forever."  Verse after verse, the phrase is repeated. 

In my highschool years, I recall an instance when God used repetition to communicate something to my heart that I needed to hear.  I went to a school that had chapel services.  I was asked to help with one of the services, and my part was to read these words from Romans 8:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,t neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
That weekend, I went to a choir concert.  As I entered, the choir was singing these words:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,t neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
When I went to church that Sunday, guess what the pastor was preaching about? 
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,t neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Was this coincidence?  I don't think so.  I think that God knew that, although these verses were not new to me, I felt that His heart toward me was one of tolerance.  I felt that God kind of put up with me.  What was he saying through the repetition?

"When I say I love you, I mean it!"  Nothing can separate me from His love.  His love is a committed love that will not let go. I am held in His grip.

Three repetitions of the message that nothing can separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus...


So what is the message that God's Spirit is speaking to your heart in Psalm136 by repeating 26 times:

His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.
His love endures forever.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Thanks, sweetheart, for that beautiful reminder of our Lord's faithfulness to us.