Monday, January 2, 2012

A fruitful life - only with the right gardener

Think about starting a garden. It takes a great deal of work. Last summer I expanded our garden a bit. First I had to strip away the grass that had been growing on that ground. It didn't exactly want to give up easily. Working with a flat-ended shovel, I undercut the sod, severing the roots and saving as much of the topsoil as I could. Then I broke up the ground underneath. I put a border around the area to help keep the grass from encroaching again. Finally, when the ground was prepared, we could start to plant. But even then, we had to go back multiple times and pull out grass and weeds that had either been missed initially or had found their way into the garden space some other way. Add to that watering, waiting, fighting the critters (deer, chipmunks, and rabbits primarily in our case), and gardening demonstrates that it is not an activity for the faint of heart, weak of back, or for those lacking determination. Successful, fruitful gardening requires a committed gardener.

In the garden of our lives, I am so thankful that we have such a committed gardener!

http://bible.us/John15.1.NIV
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener."

No comments: