Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Psalm 119:19

I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!



I recall a hymn that we would sing occasionally at church when I was a kid:

I'm but a stranger here.
Heaven is my home.
Earth is a desert drear.
Heaven is my home.
Danger and sorrow stand
Round me on every hand;
Heaven is my fatherland,
Heaven is my home.

Where do I go to find a picture that depicts being a stranger or sojourner?  "Sojourner" yielded mostly the Mars Pathfinder's mini robotic rover.  "Foreigner" yielded mostly pictures of the band.  "Stranger" gave me stranger danger. 

Then I came upon the right search term:  refugee.  I am a refugee while I am on this earth.  I am away from my home.  

I am not the first refugee, however, the first sojourner.  In John 1 I read "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us."  The Greek word translated here as "dwelt" is εσκηνωσεν.  He made his tabernacle among us.  He camped out here. 

Jesus coming from his home in heaven to our world and camping here as a man means that this is no longer my home, once Jesus has taken up residence in my heart.  I have a new, a heavenly home. 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God. - C. S. Lewis

No comments: