Friday, February 8, 2013

Psalm 119:21

You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments.

Insolent
Now there is a word I don't use very often (or ever).  In listening to Psalm 119 today, I did notice that the insolent are mentioned a number of times.  In addition to verse 21, above, here are the other mentions:

 Psalm 119:51 The insolent utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from your law.

Psalm 119:69 The insolent smear me with lies, but with my whole heart I keep your precepts;

Psalm 119:78 Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.

Psalm 119:85 The insolent have dug pitfalls for me; they do not live according to your law.

Psalm 119:122 Give your servant a pledge of good; let not the insolent oppress me.

So a total of six mentions in this Psalm....I wonder how many times all together in the Bible?

...16...

So, not all that common.  I feel better about not having a totally firm grasp on the word's meaning.  I could tell from the verses that insolence is not a virtue!

Dictionary.com to the rescue!


 in·so·lent
[in-suh-luhnt]

adjective
1. boldly rude or disrespectful; contemptuously impertinent; insulting: an insolent reply.

noun
2. an insolent person.

Next: how to picture insolence...

I have worked in computer support, and I have seen both ends of the spectrum...from humble servant leadership...to arrogant, insolent, rudeness. God rebukes the insolent.

 1 Timothy 1:12-14 English Standard Version (ESV) Christ Jesus Came to Save Sinners  I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service,  though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Grace trumps insolence.

No comments: